Thursday, May 30, 2013

The BEST banana bread I've ever tasted...


I grew up on banana bread.  My Mom always made hers with shortening.  Others make theirs with butter.  I've made it with everything: oil, butter, shortening, margarine...you name it.  I have always tried to make my banana bread as healthy as possible...what's the point of banana bread that isn't at least a little healthy?

I've tried many recipes over the years, but I've never found one that has been completely satisfying...until Tuesday.  

Folks, this is the absolute BEST banana bread you will ever eat.  It puts all others to shame.  And...it's vegan.  I know...I know...those of you carnivores out there are about to tune out, but please don't!  At least try it. You'll be glad you did.

I got the recipe idea from food.com.   I did "Jenna" (yes...I'm going to use my name as a verb) it a bit.

Here goes:

3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. Earth Balance (or other vegan margarine) melted
2 very ripe bananas
1/2 c. applesauce
1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 c. plain nondairy milk (I used low fat Silk)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Spray 8x4 loaf pan with non-stick cooking oil

Sift (this is very important) flour, baking soda, salt, and spices together in one bowl

Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl and add sugars

Mash the banana very well and add the applesauce, soy milk, and vanilla

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined (but don't over mix)

Pour the batter in the pan

Bake for about 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (Do not over bake!) 

I seriously could have taken down the entire loaf.  I kid you not.  The great thing about this bread is that it gets better as it sits.  It is the most moist bread you will ever eat.  The oats give it just the right texture. (They were my addition.) :)

Enjoy this rare find.  Brendan and I sure did...

No comments:

Post a Comment