Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Cookies, Salad, and Dirty Dancing

I deep cleaned my downstairs last Friday...well...most of it.  I also watched Pretty Woman while doing so.  I cried, while mopping.  Pretty Woman is one of my favorite movies.  It also reminds me of my Mom.  I miss her so much it makes my insides hurt.  I was convinced I was through baking for the week, but I wasn't.  So, after tearfully scrubbing the floor, I decided to put on Dirty Dancing (another classic) and get dinner started.

Whenever I feel down, I enjoy baking for others.  There is nothing like it.  If "cooking for others" was an official love language, it would be mine.  :) I'll post both the salad I made and cookies I baked.  (I told you earlier that I love both healthy and indulgent foods!)

My Good Housekeeping had great ideas for salads in it.  I took an idea for Caesar Pasta Salad and made it my own.  It's got nonfat Greek yogurt in it instead of mayo-fabulous substitution.  I'm calling it...

Tangy Tomato Pasta Salad

1 16 oz. container fun shaped pasta
2-3 tsp. olive oil
1/3 c. nonfat Greek yogurt (you can add more if you want a creamier texture)
Juice from 1 large lemon
1 tbs. lemon zest (zest from 1 the large lemon you used for juice)
1/2 c. fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
Fresh ground pepper and salt to taste (about 1/2 tsp. does it for me)
1 pint cherry tomatoes (halved lengthwise)
1 1/2 c. frozen green peas
1 can Great Northern Beans (rinsed and drained)
1/4 cup packed fresh basil, chopped

Boil pasta according to cooking directions on box.  Rinse and drain.  Return to pot.
Whisk together next 7 ingredients.
Pour liquid over pasta and toss to coat.
Add last 4 ingredients.
Gently toss to combine.
I served this pasta salad over greens with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Enjoy!


 Chewy Oatmeal Rasin Cookies

Ok-I've blanked on the recipe.  I know I wrote it down...somewhere.   Hate it when I do that!  I'm going to find it and post it.  If I can't find it, it will give me a great excuse to make them again and think about what I actually put in them.  :)  Enjoy the picture.  Sorry it's such a tease...


My neighbors enjoyed these.  Fortunately, I live across the street from a house full of guys.  They willingly eat whatever I make for them, it seems. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment