Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Super Moist Vegan Gluten-Free Banana Bread

So this gluten free version of my previously posted vegan banana bread is not quite as good as its wheat flour cousin, but it's still pretty darn tasty.  I'm biased when it comes to wheat flour.   I used a mixture of rice and oat flour.  I didn't have actual rice or oat flour, so I just blended them up.  The "rice flour" didn't quite get crushed the entire way, so the bread has a little crunch-HA!  I used my spice grinder to grind the rice, but I would recommend purchasing the rice flour from the store...unless you have a special grinder for harder foods like rice.  Nevertheless, this recipe turned out better than I had anticipated, considering I haven't had much experience with gluten-free baking.  Enjoy!




3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. Earth Balance (or other vegan margarine) melted
2 very ripe bananas
1/2 c. applesauce
1 1/2 c. rice flour
3/4 c. old fashioned rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 c. plain nondairy milk (I used low fat Silk)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Spray 8x4 loaf pan with non-stick cooking oil.

Sift (this is very important) flour, baking soda, salt, and spices together in one bowl.  Add oats.

Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl and add sugars.  Whisk together.

Mash the banana very well and add the applesauce, soy milk, and vanilla.

Pour the butter mixture into the banana mixture.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined (but don't over mix).

Pour the batter in the pan.

Bake for about 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Do not over bake!) 

This bread crumbles quite easily.  I'm going to have to play with it a bit.  I didn't make it with old fashioned oats because I ran out of them.  I used quick cooking oats instead.  I'll make it again soon and post how it goes!  Thanks for your patience with this experiment.  Many of you have had more experience in the gluten-free world.  I'm generally all about some wheat products, but I have so many friends who are gluten free...and guess who wants to bake for them?  Yours truly. :)

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good banana bread. I got to sample the final product.

    ReplyDelete