Sunday, June 9, 2013

Berry-O-Delight


The close of strawberry season is quickly upon us.  Luckily, my friend Lindsay (Werdon) brought me some fresh strawberries from Scott's Farms in Unicoi, TN.  You can't beat local produce.  Tonight we had strawberries on our salad and in our dessert.   Let me tell you about the dessert.  It was a wedding of Oreos and strawberries.  Who knew they went so well together.  I have named this creation Berry-O-Delight.  I had about 20 minutes to make something and run off to coach swimming lessons, so I didn't have enough time to bake something.   This hit the spot perfectly, though!

Here's how you make it.

You'll need a package of Oreos and about 1 1/2-2 cups of sliced strawberries.

Beat the following with a hand mixer until soft peaks form:
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 block low fat (you can use full fat, but low fat was all I had) softened cream cheese
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Using 1 package Oreos (you can use more than that, but 1 package was all I had), layer Oreos on the bottom of a trifle dish (if you're that fancy) or flat bottomed, wide bowl (if you're a little tacky and cheap like me.)  I used a chips 'n dip dish (without the dip bowl, of course).   Reserve about 5 Oreos for crumbling at the end.  Put your fresh strawberries on top of the Oreos, then top that with the whipped cream mixture.   A spatula is good for this brocess. Repeat this process, finishing with whipped cream.  Crumble the 5 Oreos you left out on top, and garnish with strawberries.  Allow this heavenly goodness to sit for at least 2 hours in your fridge.  Scoop it out to serve!


1 comment:

  1. It was amazing!!! You are an amazing cook! The stuffed shells were fabulous too! Thank u Jenna:)

    ReplyDelete