Thursday, June 13, 2013

Salsa Snob


Salsa is tricky.  It's hard to get it exactly right and then when you do, (if you're like me) you forget what you did.  I've tried to remember exactly how I made this salsa, so I could document it for the future.  Homemade salsa has spoiled me.  I can't stand the jarred kind now.  It just tastes so...fake.  I know...I'm a salsa snob.  Jarred salsa has vinegar and preservatives in it.  Something to remember As Ree Drummond (my blog idol: www.thepioneerwoman.com) would suggest, never use vinegar in salsa...ever.  You just can't beat the real deal.  By the way, don't limit yourself to chips and salsa (although chips do rock).  Dip raw zucchini, squash, carrots, or green pepper in it.

A few salsa basics:
Use a food processor, not a blender.
Never use vinegar or purchase any sort of canned tomatoes that have vinegar in them.
Add a little sugar.  Yes.  Sugar takes away some of the sour "edge." (And there is a TON of it in the jarred version, so don't feel guilty about it, ok?)
Always use fresh lime juice (never the jarred stuff).
Always use fresh garlic.
Always use fresh cilantro...there is never enough cilantro in the world.
Go easy on the salt.
Don't limit yourself to chips as dippers!

I didn't use fresh jalapeno peppers in this salsa, but you can add 1 small jalapeno pepper (without seeds) to the mix if you're up for some extra heat.

Process all of the following in a food processor.  You can process it as much as you'd like.  I like my salsa more smooth than junky.  It's up to you, though...whatever floats your salsa boat!

1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro (This is a lot of cilantro, but add more if you have it...love cilantro.)
Juice from 2 small limes
1/4 c. chopped red onion
2-3 cloves of garlic (2 if garlic cloves are large, 3 if they are small)
2 tbs. diced green pepper (or any colored pepper for that matter)
2 14 oz. cans whole tomatoes (Use the whole ones, not diced.  They are more flavorful.)
1 can mild Rotelle tomatoes
1/4 tsp. ancho chili pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
Dash cayenne pepper (more if you can handle it)
Add black beans (1/2 c.) or frozen corn (1/2 c.) after you've processed it if you want a twist!  



Try your salsa after you've processed it.  If you feel like you need to add more garlic or spices, do it.  Although if you're like me, you may end up devouring a lot of it before anyone else has even tried it.  Luckily, it makes a ton. :)  Remember that you can always adjust your salsa if you make it too spicy for your taste.  Add more tomatoes (1/4 c. at a time) to help turn down the heat.  Keeping a can or two of crushed tomatoes on hand allows you to avoid processing more whole ones.  I'm a canned tomato hoarder.  I buy the cheap ones (Walmart brand, Kroger brand) and stash them in my garage.  They taste the same as the name brand.  One of these days, I'm going to can my own tomatoes...but I haven't gotten around to that yet.  Then, I'll probably become a tomato snob. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment