Sunday, June 9, 2013

Easy Cheesy Cornmeal Biscuits


Biscuits.  What an amazing creation: flaky, warm, melt in your mouth sort of yummy.   I'm not big on getting goo all over my hands.  I do it, don't get me wrong, but if I try to avoid it unless totally necessary.  These biscuits are made with a bowl, wooden spoon, and muffin tin.  They are fabulous, super easy, and delicious.  For all you mayo haters out there, please don't discriminate.  You'll never know it's the secret ingredient.  I promise!  I first got this idea from Paula Deen.  I love her.  I've told you that, right?

I've added some cornmeal to this to make a "cornmeal biscuit."  I also added cheese.  YUM.  Add cheese to any food and it can transform it.  I made 12 of these for a cookout we had today with two college aged boys.  I also had my husband at the table.  Need I say more? :) They ate about three a piece,  and I think they were just trying to be polite.  Please note that you can modify this recipe to vegan.  Leave out the cheese and substitute vegan mayo and dairy free milk.  Because this recipe has no eggs, it is great for those with egg allergies.

Preheat oven to 350.

Grease a 12 count muffin tin.  (I'm sure you could make mini muffins, but you'd have to shorten the bake time.  Who wants mini muffins, when you can have a regular sized one, anyway?)

Mix the following together with a wooden spoon in a large bowl:
1 1/2 c. self rising flour
1/2 c. white or yellow cornmeal
2 tbs. sugar
4 heaping tbs. low fat mayo
1 c. milk
1/2 c. shredded cheese (any shredded kind will do)

Drop into greased muffin tin and sprinkle tops with a little cheese, if desired.

Bake for about 12 minutes.  The tops should remain pretty white, but the bottoms should be a golden.





No comments:

Post a Comment